Lisa M. Rice is a partner in Walsworth’s Orange office and Chair of the Life Sciences Practice Group in Southern California. Her practice focuses on products liability, life sciences, environmental, toxic tort, general liability law and business litigation. She has successfully represented manufacturers, distributors, premises owners, large national retailers and municipalities in both individual lawsuits as well as multiple-party, complex, mass tort, and class action litigation involving medical devices, pharmaceutical products, herbal and dietary supplements, dental products, animal products, prosthetic and orthotic devices, exposure to chemicals, metals, and other products.
Lisa has acted as national and local counsel for several of her life science clients. She also has been directly retained by her clients to advise on a variety of pre-litigation matters and develop strategies for avoiding litigation.
Additionally, Lisa handles and supervises all aspects of trial and trial preparation, from managing discovery and taking and defending numerous experts and PMKs (Persons Most Knowledgeable) in deposition to resolving cases through trial, dispositive motions, mediation and arbitration. She has participated in many trials on her clients’ behalf and has successfully negotiated dismissals and favorable settlements on behalf of her clients. Lisa prides herself on providing clients with an early case assessment and solid case work up to position each matter for the most cost-effective and beneficial resolution.
Lisa’s extensive experience, background and exceptional track record gives her a unique understanding of her clients’ needs. She strives to litigate with an eye toward protecting her clients’ ongoing business interests.
Recent Presentations, Conferences & Speaking Engagements:
- “Uppers, Downers and News from Our Courts and the FDA”
- Summary judgment granted in favor of owner of a large commercial retail center. Multi-plaintiff claims were based on alleged toxic exposure and damages in excess of $1.6 million dollars.
- Summary judgment granted in favor of medical device manufacturer on multi-million dollar claim by nurse who claimed he developed occupational asthma from defective device, was permanently disabled and required a lung transplant.
- Dismissal of generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in personal injury product liability claim where plaintiff claimed she developed Stevens Johnson Syndrome from ingestion of drug.
- Dismissal of product distributor in multiple toxic exposure personal injury and wrongful death actions alleging exposure to benzene and other chemicals.
Principal Areas of Practice:
- Life Sciences Law
- Products Liability Law
- Toxic Tort Law
- General Liability Law
- Business Litigation
- California (1995)
- United States District Court, Northern, Central, Eastern, and Southern Districts of California
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar
- Orange County Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- Mount St. Mary’s College, cum laude, (B.A., 1991)
- Moot Court Board Member, 1994-1995
- Creighton University, School of Law (J.D., 1995)