Chad R. Hutchinson Member, Butler Snow, LLP
- Drug and Device Litigation
- Product Liability Law
- Professional Liability
- Premises Liability
- AV-rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Mid-South Super Lawyers®, Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice
- Graduate, International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Trial Academy,
Stanford Law School, 2006:
- Leadership Mississippi, Class of 2005
- Certified Public Accountant
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Medical and Health Care Law Committee
- Steering Committee
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division
- Mock Trial Committee
- Capital Area Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
Education & Honors:
- Mississippi College, J.D., cum laude, 2001
- Managing Editor, Mississippi College Law Review
- University of Mississippi, M.A., Taxation, cum laude, 1996
- University of Mississippi, B.A., Accountancy, cum laude, 1995
- Mississippi, 2001
- S. District Courts
- Mississippi: Northern and Southern Districts
- S. Court of Appeals
- 5th Circuit
- Admitted pro hac vice in seven states
- James Orams v. Pilot Travel Centers, LLC, Circuit Court of Hinds County, Mississippi; Civil Action No. 251-09-6909; August 16, 2013; summary judgment.
- Suzanna Davis v. The Young Men’s Christian Association, Circuit Court of Rankin County, Mississippi; Civil Action No. 2012-653; April 23, 2013; summary judgment.
- Lyles v. Maselle & Associates et al.; Mississippi Arbitration Association; April 2, 2013; Lead Trial Counsel; defense verdict.
- Savage v. Pilot Travel Centers, LLC, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit; Civil Action No. 11-60406; March 9, 2012; summary judgment affirmed.
- Magee v. Covington County School Dist., --- So.3d ----, 2012 WL 48026 (Miss. App. Ct. 2012).
- Mayers v. Burke Handling Systems, Inc,; Circuit Court of Scott County, Mississippi; May 31, 2011; Lead Trial Counsel; directed verdict.
- McIntosh v. Dillards Department Stores; S.D. Miss.; February 12, 2008; Lead Trial Counsel; defense verdict.
- Derse, Inc. v. Haas Outdoors, Inc. dba Mossy Oak; August 17, 2010; American Arbitration Association; No. 69 152 00513; represented Claimant in a contractual dispute; judgment for Claimant for full amount requested.
- Backwell v. Tiffin Motor Homes, Inc.; Circuit Court of Smith County, Miss.; Trial Counsel; defense verdict.
- McKenzie v. Highland Home Nursing Center, obtained first order from a trial court compelling arbitration in a nursing home case.
- Marie Ellison et al. v. CareGivers, LLC d/b/a Clarksdale Nursing Home, Circuit Court of Coahoma County, Mississippi; Civil Action No. 14-CI-02-0141; August 30, 2010; summary judgment.
- Thelma Mitchell, et al. v. Nutrition & Management Services, Inc., et al., Circuit Court of Coahoma County, Mississippi; Civil Action No. 14-CI-03-0063; February 17, 2009; summary judgment.
- Veal v. J.P. Morgan Trust Co., N.A., 955 So.2d 843 (Miss. 2007).
- Eaton Vance Municipals Trust v. Conegie, 2007 WL 1484539 (N.D. Miss. 2007).
- Smith v. Nationwide Mut. Ins. Co., 286 F.Supp.2d 777 (S.D. Miss. 2003).
- Assisted Trial Teams in following cases:
- Beare/Gaffney v. Ortho-McNeil-Jannssen, No. 196-10MT Superior Court of New Jersey Law Division; Atlantic County; 2011 – defense verdict.
- Thomas Gaines v. McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; No. CGC-06-457600 –Superior Court of California; County of San Francisco; 2010 – defense verdict.
- Janssen Pharmaceutica Inc. v. Armond, 866 So.2d 1092 (Miss. 2004) Mississippi Supreme Court decision in favor of client.
- Janessen Pharmaceutica Inc. v. Bailey, 878 So.2d 31 (Miss. 2004), a Mississippi Supreme Court ruling in favor of client.
Papers, Presentations and Publications:
- "Drug and Medical Device Litigation: Recent Trends in Products Liability Litigation," Panel Counsel Seminar Presentation, Sea Island, Georgia, June 2015.
- “Recent Developments in the Pharmaceutical/Product Liability Industry,” In-house Client Presentation, New Brunswick, New Jersey, May 2013.
- “Epidemiology Concepts and Applications,” In-house Seminar Presentation, August 2012.
- “Drug and Medical Device Litigation: Navigating the Social Media Maze,” Panel Counsel Seminar Presentation, Lake George, New York, June 2012.
- “The Final Rule: FDA's Security Reporting Requirements for Investigational New Drug Applications", Pro Te: Solutio, Vol. 5 No. 1, 8-11 (February 2012).
- “The Path to Aggregate Settlements,” American Bar Association Mass Torts Litigation, Spring 2012, Vol. 10 No. 3.
- “Tips for Impeaching and Discrediting Plaintiffs’ Expert Witnesses,” ACI Long Term Care Conference, April 2011.
- “Sanctions for Failure to Properly Preserve Electronic Evidence,” In-house Client Presentation, Whitehouse Station, Pennsylvania, June 2010.
- “ABA’s Ethics Opinion on Aggregate Settlements,” Harmonie Professional Liability Seminar, New York, New York, May 2010.
- “Caves: Clarity or Confusion?” Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association Quarterly, April 2009.
- “Advanced Deposition and Trial Techniques for Cross-Examining the Combative Plaintiff’s Expert Witness,” DRI’s Nursing Home/ALF Litigation Seminar, September 2008.
- “Advanced Expert Witness Deposition Tactics,” National Business Institute Seminar, October 2008.
- “Cross-Examinations of Lay Witness,” In-house Defense Quarterly, Winter 2006.